If the Adelaide Turf Cricket Association was a mountain, the Trinity Old Scholars scaled K2 on the weekend, taking home the A2 premiership in convincing fashion.

In just 12 seasons, the club has gone from base camp to the foot of Everest as we take our sixth A-grade premiership into ATCA’s A1 competition next season.

Day one

After winning the toss on Saturday, the TOSers chose to bat against a travelling Marion side.

Ali Forwood (13) and Eythan Barraclough rocketed to 21 before the coach was dismissed.

It wasn’t a large opening stand, but it reflected a mix of intent and defence that was to be the essence of our dig.

The skipper’s 20 won’t go down in the memory as one of his greatest innings, but it was critical in providing an early anchor and allowed the later batting order to build their own innings.

At 3/62 the match could have gone either way.

But, Marion curiously let it meander as well as letting Brad Cameron off the hook early in his innings.

He and Mitch Dearing really took the best of the Rams’ bowling and had the TOSers 3/111 and composed at tea.

After the break, things really took off with Cammo, in particular, taking apart the bowling.

Dearing (35 from 124 valuable minutes) was fourth to go at 155.

It was a partnership that decided the game, as it gave us room to accelerate the innings without caution.

In quick time, Cameron and Tim Viner-Smith belted a 110-run partnership, with the former eventually dismissed for 111.

From there TVS put the sword to the opposition’s throat by taking his score to 94 in ultra-rapid time, his last two scoring shots ending up in the car park.

With three balls left of the innings, an attempt at one last six fell just short and he was dismissed for 94. It was the end of a highly enjoyable innings and one that ensured Marion would have a massive challenge ahead.
We finished 8/317 off of our 80 overs.

Day two

We went into Sunday quietly confident, but also knowing that Marion had an attacking line-up that could, if it got flowing, score a glut of runs and chase down our score.

At only one point did that look a possibility, when all-rounder Warrick Stanborough and Chris Geddie combined for a 77-run partnership.

Once Geddie was dismissed for 23, as Jace O’Hara’s first wicket, there was a sense of anticipation that one more wicket would see Marion’s ambitions dashed.

Marion went to tea at 4/151 from only 38 overs – their fast paced innings compromised by the loss of wickets.

They also went to tea with Stanborough hobbling due to a hamstring injury – one wonders what he could have done if he was not so sore.

Stanborough batted well to make 80 in 124 minutes, the only Ram to bat for over two hours (as opposed to three TOSers), but was dismissed in the over after the resumption of play.

O’Hara was the scalper and from there he made the remainder of the Marion batting line-up his play thing – taking four more wickets as the last quartet could only muster 11 balls between them.

Fittingly, as it was his work with the bat in the semi-final that secured us a miracle victory, Brad Schaper performed the closing rites on the match by claiming the last wicket and commencing the celebrations.  

We conclude our season this Friday night with our annual presentation night at The Pavilion, from 6pm.

READ: Skipper Eythan Barraclough shares his thoughts on the premiership and our team with The Messenger.

Leave a Reply