Barra departs

Winner: Skipper Eythan Barraclough leads the A grade off the ground after leading his team to victory in Saturday’s semi-final.

They say that two out of three ain’t bad and that’s what the Trinity Old Scholars Cricket club got on the weekend with our A grade and C grade progressing into their respective grand finals. Sadly, the B grade fell just short of the decider, losing by one wicket.

The A grade will be playing Golden Grove (we think), having defeated Gepps Cross by six wickets in a very spirited encounter.

At the start of the second day, the victory target of 197 appeared a long way off when we were 3/13 but Alex Cotter proved The Man in forming a 141-run partnership with skipper Eythan Barraclough.

The pair negotiated a tricky spell from a fired up Gepps, but had gas in the tank and skin in the game, showing that nothing could break them down.

Cotts was eventually dismissed just before the tea break for 94 from 92 balls – a match-defining innings.

To their credit, Gepps came out firing after the tea break but the experience of Barraclough (63*) and Tim Viner-Smith (17*) negated their vocal attack and took us to the grand final, the last nail a boundary by the skipper in the 53rd over.

On the first day, the TOSers had to work their way patiently through the day as Gepps Cross provided stolid resistance, hoping that by batting through 80 overs they would build a defendable score.

The first blow was struck when Gepps’ opener was forced to retire hurt after an Austin Smith bouncer.

Josh Southwell then took the first wicket with the score on 27, before the next man fell on 49 – the first of a trio to fall within three runs.

After that, Gepps showed some spine by forming some middle-order partnerships to keep us in the field for the entirety of the day’s play.

Southwell finished with three wickets, while Mitch Dearing took 4/31 from 21 overs as Gepps finished with 9/196 and set up a competitive target for day two.

The win sees the club in its first A grade grand final since 2012/13, a win, and we will be hosting at Waldeck Oval.

The B grade took on top side Gaza at Klemzig and in a tight contest finished up missing out on a grand-final berth by one wicket.

We batted first in tough conditions, with the opposition getting the advantage of a popping pitch, following overnight rain, and a stop-start commencement of the innings.

The boys did well to knock up 150 with Moe Walker making 45, Winning 30 and skipper Grady Hudd adding 23.

Needing early wickets if they were to be a chance of defending the score on an improving pitch, the boys had the top side 3/50 overnight with Brad Matters claiming the critical wicket of the competition’s top-scorer.

Regular wickets the next day saw the match tighten up and with Walker (five wickets) leading the way we had them 8/123 and then 9/141.

The GF berth was there for the taking, but the team, which had snuck into the finals in the final minor round, just couldn’t quite get the job done.

It was a bitter finish to the season, but the side can be proud of their achievements, with a number of those playing on the weekend spending time in the A grade during the season and playing a role in getting them to where they are now.

Meanwhile, the rain that fell in the lead up to the game resulted in the TOS v Ingle Farm LO5 match at Gawler River being washed out, with Matt Knox’s boys passing through to the grand final as the highest-ranked team.

Not the ideal way to pass through to the premiership decider, but having lost four consecutive semi-finals we’ll definitely take it (as well as the promotion to LO4).

The C grade will play Marion, who we have a 1/1 record with this season, at their home ground in our first grand final in this grade.

Final scoreboard
The final scoreboard on an exciting weekend of cricket.

Leave a Reply